Thursday, July 5, 2012

Boulevard Theater, Bayview


Considering that it is 102 degrees as I craft this post at 8 p.m., I am going to continue the defiant tone begun in the last post.  A few hundred degree days have their place in any summer, as a way to test our mettle and to bring about the focus and introspection that a period of forced housebound hibernation can yield.  But two or three running weeks of upper 90s and mid 100s...my mind flees back to a cold, frost-gripped night in mid-November.  I was just starting to get to know my new, Mamiya 645E purchased a few weeks before at a camera store in Madison, Wisconsin.  I left the warmth of a Stone Creek coffee shop and spent an hour or two creeping around the darkened streets of Bayview.  This image has always reminded me of the spare, unflinching view of an Edward Hopper painting...he seems to have been one of the first American painters to produce canvases of nocturnal views of American towns and cities.  Since this was taken, the Boulevard has upgraded its signage, and I'm not sure if that liquor store is there anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment